Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Identity

In the 11th grade we were asked to read a book on our own accord and write a paper about it. I looked through the list of books like Pride and Prejudice, A Tale of Two Cities, etc and saw nothing special. I ended up picking Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. This book ended up affecting me sooo much. To make a long story short, the book can be summarized by this quote from the last few chapters:

"And my problem was that I always tried to go in everyone’s way but my own. I have also been called one thing and then another while no one really wished to hear what I called myself. So after years of trying to adopt the opinions of others I finally rebelled. I am an invisible man."

I love this idea of finding peace in your identity. On Sunday, Marvin taught about Romans 12 and how if we as Christians focus on Christ and surrender to Him, He places us to our God given talents to their best. It was a reminder of this thought of identity

Then YESTERDAY, Red released their video for Feed The Machine. Now whether or not you like this style of music, the video is powerful and echoes this thought. Enjoy!

No comments: