Monday, January 24, 2011

Opening Up

Relationships...Friendships...Acquaintanceships(that's a real word right?). All of these revolve around being real and opening up to another person. The struggle for me has not been finding people to talk to. My struggle has not been finding people who will open up to me. Rather my struggle is opening up to others. I'm struck with this fear that if others saw me I would not be accepted.

Rob talked on Sunday about the thought of man's dependence upon relationships with man. That God has inherently created within us a desire to be with other people. But i think it goes much deeper than that. The verse Rob used was Genesis 2:18: Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper who is just right for him.” I think this verse is bigger than friends...i think its bigger than people in your life. I think what this verse points to is a longing for companionship. A person who you share your life with. Everything. That one close friend who always walks beside you.

For many years in my life this need was filled in me by my best friends. Guys who I hung out with everyday quite literally. Right now I seem to have lost this. Sure I have some amazing friends(shout out to my CG peeps Sean, Casey, and Meghan), but I have yet to find what i consider true companionship. Someone who is like a brother or a sister to me.

Sometimes I feel like i'm living the song stain glass masquerade by casting crowns:

"
So I tuck it all away, like everything’s okay
If I make them all believe it, maybe I’ll believe it too
So with a painted grin, I play the part again
So everyone will see me the way that I see them"

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Mike, companions are hard to find and they are normally the people you have to work a little harder to get to know and they are likely people you don't automatically click with or understand. But once you get past the initial friction, they become indispensable to you. I am blessed with many, many friends and I would say that I have a few companions as well...many who are no longer within reasonable driving distance. However, God is your one, life-long companion and you must be ok with and accept this if you ever want to find the "one." You must be willing for it to be just you and God, then God opens up the others.

Mike Harper said...

I guess I should Clear up that i'm not looking for a female companion necc.(as that seems to be what people are assuming). I'm really just looking for a best friend.

Unknown said...

Ok, still the same idea. Companions are extremely hard to find and they often come into your life in odd ways. They require more risk than your typical hang-out crowd does. Takes time, patience, and a willingness to be transparent.

AceG said...

I would agree with Willie's statement that generally (not always, but alot of the time) people who are harder to get to know turn out to be awesome friends in the long run...I've found this to be true.

I also think that after investing in others lives (which you rock at) your desires for companionship fall into place.

I have also noticed that it is no quick road. Infact, it takes a tremendous amount of time...atleast for me. People are just generally not trusting of others.

Looking forward to seeing what God does through your life! (P.S. we should hang out)